Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dairy Science


For my first two years of college I lived with my friend Jordan, a dairy science major here at Cal Poly.  First coming to college I had no idea what that particular major entailed and I would always make sarcastic comments due to my lack of knowledge.  I later found out that Cal Poly offers quite a few different unconventional majors that many other colleges do have available.  It was shocking to find that “wine and viticulture” could be a degree from a four year school.  In my later years at Cal Poly, I was given the opportunity to take two dairy science classes, and although I only got a small overview as to what the major was all about, I was amazed to see what detail unique categories of information the classes taught.  My friend Jordan is now graduating this year, and he had originally planned on heading back to his family farm to work with his family.  Yesterday he surprisingly received notification from Wells Fargo that he is being offered a position in their agriculture banking department, starting off at $50 an hour.  All this time that I have made light of his major and considered myself better than him, and he is going to be making more than twice as much as me the second we leave Cal Poly.  Life continues to teach me lessons, and I will keep on learning as they fire at me!

1 comment:

  1. I often feel the same way about my own major. Hopefully I'll be making 50$ an hour! It's good to keep an open mind about everything, and I hope you'll continue to do so. Lastly I believe trying new things (as you did in the dairy classes) will help in keeping an open mind.

    ReplyDelete