Monday, May 21, 2012

FACEBOOK GENERATION



I am one of the very few people in the world that I have met that refuse to use Facebook.  The Facebook trend has entirely taken over my generation and it has shown no serious signs of decline.  I made a Facebook my freshmen year in college, and I hated it.  The idea that anyone could look me up and find me made me very uneasy and I deleted mine immediately.  Over the years I have shocked people when I explain that I despise Facebook.  Usually people agree with me that Facebook is over the top, but they say they have a profile for two reasons:  to keep in touch with old friends and to network, or keep informed of events going on around them.  I have always done a great job at keeping in touch with my old friends, but I cannot argue with the second reason.  Although I have never had the problem of being out of the loop, I can definitely say that many people I meet are lost without being able to add them on Facebook.  Today I could potentially have connections all throughout California if I had kept up with my social networking, and that is my only minor regret.  But the day has come and I am finally going to commit to keeping up with a Facebook.  I realize that not having one is a negative image when building a career.  Companies may become suspicious if they are not able to find you, wonder what I have to hide.  Although I want to remain strong and stay away from this new age trend, I am finally going to cave and conform to society.  I am ready to enter the Facebook generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment